Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sprout It Out

What a wonderful turn in the weather! It's days like these that suck me into staying in this town, it's just so damn gorgeous. And I am now completely addicted to sun-lit brisk runs down the empty docks, if I could do that every day, I'd stay forever. The overwhelming serenity of running through such pristine beauty is just incredible. But the fact of the matter is that in a very short while those docks will be packed full of tourists and more likely than not, the weather will be back to its rainy normalcy. Le sigh. Oh well, I'm taking what I can while I can and loving it up.
 

Our apartment, unfortunately, gets no direct sunlight. It's pretty horrible. Well, we do get a random beam refracted off of the lucky bastards' windows on the hill, but it's only like at 2pm every 9th Thursday. So basically NO sunlight. Hence not a lotta plants thriving up in our place. Except sprouts! They don't technically need sunlight. You could put them in some sun after the first several days, but it's not necessary.

I purchased this handy-dandy-as-fuck sprout tower a few birthdays ago for K. (So she could grow me some sprouts! Aren't I such a darling wife?) Recently I've taken it over and have been sprouting like a madwoman.
It's a pretty neat little set up. Each layer has a drainage spout so you pour the water in the top, it trickles through all the layers and then you discard the water at the bottom. Do that twice or so a day and in a few days you get to EAT THEM. That's my favorite part! In fact, I keep meaning to take a picture of them all packed in there and ready to be devoured...but I usually am too excited and devour half of them before I get the chance. So this is what you get instead.
Broccoli sprouts, day four
Bean Seed Mix, day two
I usually do a tray each of clover, broccoli, and a mix of adzuki, lentil, mung bean, and radish seeds. I keep meaning to stagger them so that I don't run out, but I love having the variety at the same time, so that never really works. In fact I need to finish off my last batch and start some trays today!

How do I eat them? Atop errything, that's how!

With edemame hummus and thin corn cakes (organic, from Australia, and delish!)
With Amy's Gluten Free, Vegan Mac N Cheese (and obligatory hot sauce)
In a giant bowl o' chopped veggies

With tomato soup


Atop a zucchini, leek, pesto pizza (with creepy looking but tasty tasting faux cheese)
Inside quick 'n easy hummus / avocado tacos

Everything's better with organic pico de gallo chips. Truth.

Sprout spring rolls? YES! (This is what I made to eat after B's today. Scrumptious!)

Make sure you wash your sprouts WELL before eating as they can contain bacteria that will not treat you right. I feel like they're the chicken of the plant world, I'm always super paranoid and wash the holy living shit out of mine.

That being said, sprouts are super good for you. Chock-a-block full o' protein, nutrients and deliciousness. Seriously, they're just plain goodness. Don't take my word for it, here are a few links with more sprout-tastic information!


So go get sprouting! It's a fairly low maintenance process and at the end of it you get to eat the product. Who wouldn't want to eat shit that they grew? Fuckle, I wish I could grow everything I ate! That would pretty much rule. Ahh, someday I shall farm, I fucking hope.

Below is our brunchness at B's Bistro today. I love that place, even if the only thing on the menu for me is French press coffee. Today there was a young child's birthday party going on and it was so adorable! And they've put drawing supplies on the tables. Love, love, love. K got to eat like a queen: lemon blueberry pancakes AND a lemon blueberry cupcake. Looked delish, I'm pretty sure it was!  

Happy sunshine-riffic, super Saturday! Enjoy the day, wherever it may take you!
 


No comments: