Friday, May 16, 2008

Will it last? Only if you vote.

I am excited about California making it's way towards gay marriage. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited. But I'm pessimistic. Will it last? Will there be hundreds of happy, loving couples with void marriages in a few months because it gets revoked? Because some stranger decided to override a choice two adults in love made? Basically you have until it goes to a vote in November to get married legally, then it could be rescinded. I am all for voting, but supporters of gay marriage are still in the minority. There are a lot of close mined people who think they know what's best for strangers and will vote that way. So open minded Californians, VOTE!
But even with my pessimism there's hope. This could be the time it takes root, and other states will finally realize that same sex marriages won't disrupt the "sanctity"(yeah right) of hetero marriages. And then maybe the whole country will figure it out. Maybe. Makes me want to take out Sarah's copy of "Brides of March" and re-read it.

Speaking of stupid people with stupid, close minded opinions, we had dinner at my boss' house. No, she's not the stupid one, she rocks. I love working for her. She had Sarah and me over for dinner because we did so much for her birthday party. While she was making dinner we were talking about the news in CA, and gay rights in general. She's awesome and doesn't see what it matters who gets married to who. Exactly! But after dinner we were watching TV (we don't have cable, so any chance we get we gobble it up) and there was a doc on VH1 about the sex revolution. Very interesting. One part was about when AIDS first surfaced and how it took the government such a long time to even acknowledge it. There was a clip from a Phil Donahue show and he was talking to a woman in the crowd. This woman said basically that since gays were sinning, God was punishing them by giving them AIDS. Holy fucking shit, I wanted to break something. Just the look on her face, how she completely believed what she was saying! Phil had a look on his face like he wanted to hit her. I wish he had. But that doesn't solve anything. I wish it did sometimes.

My friends and I joke about my "warning signs" about becoming a lesbian. One of which would definitely be my gay advocacy. In high school, I was dating the X the whole time. Totally hetero. I might have had a HUGE crush on a girl, but never acted on it. I was always arguing (I mean debating) with the christian coalition assholes. Usually in English class because that was where the most controversial discussions took place. I always fought for gay rights. It was the one issue that, at the time had nothing to do with me, I cared the most about. I couldn't understand people who didn't accept gay lifestyles. I still don't understand.

Back to California, one of the articles I read had a quote that marriages should be left to people who procreate. Really?? Cause if that's the case, I think there are at least a few hetero couples who need to have their marriage license revoked. And quite a few gay couples with kids or TTC who deserve a real legal marriage. I just don't see how the close mined can believe what they say. It's just preposterous. Poppycock in fact.

No comments: