Monday, October 12, 2009

Farm livin' is the life for me

Today was 100% wholesome, good ol' fashioned work. I harvested a row of carrots and a row of beets. Dug 'em up out of the ground with my two hands. Washed em up all good and got to a chopping. I was going to pickle and can the beets but after boiling them decided not to. Instead I made a salad as similar as possible to one I get from a grocer where my sis lives. I even picked all the herbs from the garden. Still just blows my mind. It turned out pretty darn tasty.

Now on to the carrots. Yesterday some nice neighbor guy brought a bunch of medium spicy peppers. And we have carrots. So I bought cauliflower and vinegar and started looking up how to make giardiniera. I sorta fudged several recipes together. But it seemed ok. Pretty much spent all day in front of the sink either washing, peeling or chopping. Then I sanitized all of the jars and whatnot for the canning. I am still uncertain if I filled them correctly, but again, it seemed ok. Boiled em all up and ended up with at least a dozen that are correctly sealed. At least two are totally effed and a couple others that seem questionable. Still way more spicy veggie goodness than I need. Hello xmas gifts!

All in all it was pretty darn rad. I really could do this. Always. I could only feel more accomplished if I had planted and grown the veggies I picked today. Why do I have to call home a place that is so expensive? Sure things grow there and people have gardens. But I doubt my landlord would like it if I started a little garden on the roof next to my studio apartment. Just going out on a limb there. A place with a yard? Right. Ahh anyway, yet another day dream to pass the time working at the bar or the knife shop.

And now to enjoy some lovely VT beer. "Blackbeary Wheat" from Long Trail, pretty tasty. I think I like Magic Hat #9 best out of the VT beers I've tried so far. Definitely not a fan of Magic Hat Wacko. But the bottle was pretty. And I do love being entertained by the little phrases under the lid.

On the B front, she should hopefully be down here Thursday. I fucking hope so. Think I'll go smoke and wish on a star :) Night lovies.

No comments: