Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vaca Part II: East Coastness

I flew into Boston Sunday night. After flying first class. Oh yeaaaah. It was so nice, so so very nice. I never want to go back to sitting with the peasants again. Of course that is where I will sit every time I fly for the rest of my life, but oh well. B was an hour late picking me up, but it was worth every second of waiting. Oh bliss to hold her in my arms again!

Spent Monday and Tuesday driving all around VT. Went up to the mountain she works on and she tried to get me to climb a fire watchtower. What a silly girl. But the view was absolutely amazing. Got to do a little hiking, saw turkeys in the wild, tons of cows and horses. Got to pet her sister's pigs and cluck at her chickens on her farm.

Met her two sisters, her dad and a good friend. All who are rad as fuck. I helped pull up carpet staples with her dad and then rip out the living room carpet. Helped bring in fire wood for the wood stove. All kinds of wholesome country activities. Drank a bunch of local beer. Magic Hat #9, delish. Very much like Pyramid Apricot Ale but they have fun little sayings under the bottle cap. Had Switchback something or other at the Barn last night. Pretty tasty as well. Tried some of her Ten Penny? beer. Also tasty. Basically being in the country brings out the beer drinker in me. Maybe it's just her.

She drove me down to my mom's in West Hartford today to drop me off. She is going to be helping move stuff from room to room as the new carpet is installed this weekend. Then she is driving back down to spend hopefully the week with me and my mom and gmom. And then I don't know what. My bro in law is playing in NH on Saturday and I know my mom wants to go see him. I would kind of like to stay here all week, go up and see him and then go to VT with B for most of the rest of the time I'm on the East Coast. But it depends on what she has to do for her job.

After she dropped me off I got dirty! Got to play in my gmom's garden. So much fun for a girl from Alaska. I got to pull up carrots and beets. Picked a bell pepper and coriander. And then I roasted them in VT maple syrup and ate them with pasta with pesto made from basil from the garden. Too effing rad. This darn coast can definitely win me over. If only all of my friends would pick a town and move there with me.

But the thing is, it's just not for me. I love-hate-mostly love Juneau. I love the coziness of the town. I hate that rent is through the roof for a ghetto craptastic apartment and bell peppers usually cost more than $3. But it's beautiful. It's my home. I hate the hustle and bustle of everywhere else. Up in VT it was so nice and chill but so spread out. They all commute at least an hour to their jobs. That just doesn't make any sense to me. People do that in big cities, living their lives in their cars. Why choose to do that? I don't know. I think I have lots to mull over during this trip. Hopefully I can make it all make sense and come to the best decision.

No comments: